Friday, June 6, 2014

McGovern Player of the Finals - Game 1

A few brief notes before I get to the actual point break-downs for game 1. I was reading an article in Yahoo! sports before the game had began and for some reason on the sidebar which recommends similar articles that may be of interest, there was a random link to something like "Jonah Hill, longtime supporter of gays, apologizes for slur." I don't normally click on any entertainment related articles, however the placement of this one amongst sports articles piqued my curiosity enough to do so.
As per usual with any entertainment article it was written with over the top PC-ness and ridiculously in general. The entire thing described how Mr. Hill was goaded by a paparazzo who insulted his family into emitting some incredibly foul anti-gay slur. And Jonah (what a fucking terrible name - by the way) being overly apologetic regarding his behavior to the LGBT community. The article essentially danced around the situation while not listing the slur at hand. Eventually the term was revealed to be none other than faggot - yes.
I wasn't initially sure how I felt about this. I find Jonah Hill to be fat, worthless, terrible and I suspect the only way I'd laugh at him would involve his death. On the other hand, I liked what he said yet... he apologized - even if it was fake. I ended up deciding to continue disliking him anyway. I have yet to see him in anything good and his mere presence always seems to annoy me somehow.

On to the game:
* LeBron started out the game with -1 point because I didn't like the way he used the word "dog" in his pre-game team-huddle speech. It just sounded forced and terrible.

McGovern Player of the Game:

HEAT:***
R. Allen: +2, +1, -1, +2 (4)
Anderson: +1, +1
Bosh: +1, +1, +2, +1, +1 (6)
Chalmers: -1, -1, -1, +2 (-1)
Cole: +1
L. James: -1*, -1**, +1, +1, +2, +1, -3 (0)
Lewis: +1, +1
Wade: -1, +2, +1, +1, +1 (4)

Spurs:
Belinelli: -2
Diaw: +2, +1, +1, +1
Duncan: -1, +1, +1, +2, -1, +1 (3)
Ginobili: +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, +1, -1, +1, +1 (8)
Green: -1, +1, -1, -1, +2, +1 (1)
K. Leonard: -1, -1, -1, -1, +1 (-3)
P. Mills: +1, +1
Parker: +1, +1, +1, -1, +2 (4)
Splitter: -1, -1, -1, -1, +1 (-3)

** Upon seeing and disliking the entirety of the Beats commercial - the athletes, celebrities and entertainers alike, I gave LBJ yet another -1 for his inclusion.
*** After the HEAT lost a game without AC, in the heat, I decided to detract another -1 from the entire team, giving them in actuality -1 to whatever their point total in parentheses lists. This could end up making a difference if any HEAT players end up with tied total games won, where the tiebreak is based on cumulative point total.

McGovern FAGGOT of the Game:
HEAT Fans: 0
M. Jackson: -1, +1, +1
Refs: -2, -1
J. Hill: -4, -2, -2

FAGGOT notes: (points in this category are almost always negative, positives coming when a participant, willingly or not, does something that pleases me temporarily)

A newcomer to this category; I never cared much for Mark Jackson as a commentator in general, but found him acceptable before his coaching tenure at Golden State I suppose. Since his return I've found most of his commentary to be utterly bland and to often ruin the flow of Jeff Van Gundy's poignant yet pragmatic commentary. This often provokes a pseudo playful banter between them, which I find entirely unbearable. Where Van Gundy and Jackson used to butt-heads with back and forth verbal jabs, now it seems as if Van Gundy is too nice and secedes a little too much. I could blame Van Gundy for this, however I suspect it's because of Jackson getting fired, then immediately coming back into the announcing crew basically the next day. I don't pity the fool who is pitied. His 2 positive points were for a well placed "He Got Game" Ray Allen reference and a comment that rightfully made Van Gundy sound like an idiot for being overly nice.

I've thought about putting the refs in this category for years and upon seeing a few calls I put them in sometime in the second quarter. No explanation necessary.

It was with annoyance and open arms that I saw Jonah Hill, the equally untalented Ice Cube - perhaps the worst rapper turned actor of all time slightly ahead of Ja Rule (because he was in a Seagal movie) - and another tool devoid of personality pop-up during the commercial breaks for the game, for a special unentertaining segment. I'll admit after reading the article earlier I actually laughed for a second upon immediately adding Jonah Hills name to the FAGGOT list, with an immediate -4. As of now I plan on subtracting 2 everytime I see one of those shitty crossover ads. Another deduction everytime a 22 Jumpstreet ad comes on isn't out of the spectrum of possibilities either.

No comments: