Monday, June 16, 2014

McGovern Player of the Finals - Game 5

There's a truth in numbers. People often use the words numbers and stats interchangeably. Despite either word being able to describe the other, there still is more of an innate truth in numbers. Each of the previous four Finals games has seen a different winner (Ginobili, Bosh, Green and Leonard). In game 5, which had the highest of stakes (because both the eventual McGovern Player of the Finals and FAGGOT of the Finals would end up being determined - the true two crown jewels of the NBA postseason) one of those four go on to break the tie-break of one-game apiece.


MIAMI:
Allen +1 -1
Anderson -1
Beasley +2
Bosh +3* +1 -3
Cole +2*
Haslem +1
James +1 +1 +2 +1 -2
Wade -1 -1 -1 -1 -2

SPURS:
Diaw: -1 +1 +2 +1 +1
Duncan +1 +1
Ginobili +2* +1 +1 +4 +2 +2
Leonard +1 +1 +2 +3 +1
Mills +1 +1 +2 +2 +2
Parker +1 -2 -1 -1 +1

McGovern Player of the Finals: Manu Ginobili (2 Games). The truth in numbers I was alluding to earlier is in all of Manu Ginobili's numbers. He lead the Finals both in actual + / - and in the more important + / - 's from me. I heard a sportscaster aptly summerize his play when he said "somehow he manages to take 3's that feel like they should be worth 8." This is exactly the reason he's the first player in NBA history to have performed the McG-feat: winning 3 total McGovern Player of the Finals awards. There have been three-peats before, but never a McG-feat. I'm glad to give Ginobili the distinction of the first one.

* Chris Bosh started out the game with +3 because he guaranteed a win before the game. I interpreted this as him referring to winning the McGovern Player of the Finals so I awarded him for his enthusiasm.
* Norris Cole received points simply because he entered the game before Mario Chalmers did, somewhat fulfilling my previous prediction.
* Ginobili got these points for the look he had in his eye after making his first three. I could tell a feeling of redemption had ensconced him - and he was embracing it.

McGovern FAGGOT of the Game:
Heat Fans 0
M. Jackson +1
Refs -2 -1 -1
J. Hill -2 -2 -4
Nos 0

McGovern FAGGOT of the Finals: Jonah Hill. I didn't bold that text as I feel this is something to be ashamed of and forever looked down upon. Jonah you are officially responsible for Miami fans not three-peating in the worst way possible. You've joined the dubious ranks of Mike Miller and Jason Terry with a badge of shame you can't lose. I wish I could say I'm sorry, but I'm not.



No comments: